Welcome to our Newest Resource!

Welcome to the On-line connection to First Assembly of God in West Memphis. We hope to provide you with up to date news and information to our church.

To get the most out of this resource, please take the time to subscribe to our email service. Once you provide your email information in the box at the right side of the screen, you will receive a confirmation email. Please activate your subscription from the email.

There are also links to our pastoral staff blogs to the right. An added feature is our prayer blog. (If you would like a prayer request added to this blog, please contact Laurie A. at supermom4jc @ yahoo.)

It is our prayer that this blog will help you keep up with ALL of the exciting ministries and events of our great church!

Be sure to check out Pastor Rusty's blog for devotions and encouragement straight from God's Word!

Rejoicing in this wonderful day,

The Leadership Team of First Assembly

Monday, March 3, 2008

Protein Source

okay - It is day 2 and to be perfectly honest, I am tired. I am not sleepy, but tired. I guess that is showing me how much my body usually is operating on artificial stimulants like caffeine and sugar.

The food I am eating is not pleasant and tastey like I would like- but that's what this is all about isn't it? Every time that I eat something when I would rather be eating chocolate, I pray, "Jesus, draw me closer to you!" Every time I sip my water and wish it was a diet coke, I pray, "Lord, I want more of you more than I want a diet coke!"

One of the things I have had to be careful about in the short 24+ hours on the Daniel Fast is my protein intake. I have a tendency to have low blood sugar- probably because I eat so much junk food. Since yesterday I have consumed a lot of fruit juices that are naturally sweetend - no sugar added. But because they do have natural sugars, I have had to make sure that I eat enough protein. I stumbled upon an excellent source of protein!

I bought some soy nuts last night at the store. I bought them because they have 3 x more protein than other nuts. The ones I purchased are roasted. So, I can eat a cup of those and instantly have as much protein as I would in a huge steak.

What about you guys? Are you doing okay? Do you have any recipes or information to share?

Remember, whenever you crave something, that is a reminder to spend time with the Lord. Don't let this time of self-denial be about that only. If you only deny yourself your favorite foods with out more time in prayer and the Word, then these 21 days become a diet rather than a spiritual fast.

Let us hear from you!
dorinda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for linking the Daniel Fast Blog to your site. However, I noticed that the link is incorrect. Please check out the way Daniel is spelled so that people can reach the site easily. God bless you and your church as you seek the Lord through prayer and fasting.

The Leadership Team of First Assembly said...

Thanks Susan! I fixed it! Glad you caught it!

and thank you for such amazing resources and teaching material. Jennifer has forwarded your emails to me. I love your insight and look forward to stuyding your material!
Blessings!
dorinda

Beth said...

I tried the smoothie that's in the cookbook by Susan Gregory and it's awesome. I used a banana and frozen mangos with soy milk. You can put any kind of fruit you like. Dorinda, thanks for the posts. You are an awesome writer.
Beth

LAURIE said...

We, as a family, have survived to DAY 2!

Some of us need more encouraging than others, our 12 year old has complained about the things she cannot eat. And God reminded me today that we as His children often times do that...COMPLAIN that is.

Among other things...that is one thing God has shown me...TO NOT HAVE A COMPLAINING SPIRIT.

I love doing this as a family, not just the four of us in our home, but as a family in the church. We can grow together and encourage one another as we seek God together.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

I wanted to share a blessing that our family has already received from this Daniel fast on Day 2. Yesterday, Tina and I were trying to encourage each other through e-mail concerning the fast. I was trying to really encourage Tina because at that time she was really having a tough day and said she had never felt more empty in her life. All throughout the day, I felt a heavy burden to cover her in prayer. I couldn’t get much done because of this burning need. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from Tina and she shared with me what happened to her on her way home from work… she was driving on the bridge coming back to West Memphis around 4 p.m. in the wind and rain when the truck seemed to be driving sluggish. Not being too familiar with Steve’s truck, she thought she must have had it in 2nd gear so she shifted gears and somehow it shifted into reverse instead of drive. The truck flew backwards, and started spinning and the next thing she knew she hit the bridge. She just knew she was going to go over the railing but through God’s grace, she didn’t. Once she came to a complete stop and got herself composed, she realized she didn’t hit anyone. There were cars behind her but she didn’t hit a single one. She then put the truck into gear and drove home. When Steve met her in the driveway, they got out to inspect the truck and there was only one very small dent in the bumper. I honestly believe this was a reminder to us that no matter how discouraged or alone we might feel, God is right there with us and maybe that is one of the biggest things we need to remember during this time of fasting. He was right there in the spinning truck with Tina and He’s right there where you are right now trying to draw us closer to Him. We need to hold each other up in prayer. Satan is obviously not happy with all of us trying to draw closer to God and is trying everything he can to discourage us. Our family is rejoicing in His protection for Tina and for all the protection He has given us without our knowing it in the past and in the future.
Diane Butler