Welcome to our Newest Resource!

Welcome to the On-line connection to First Assembly of God in West Memphis. We hope to provide you with up to date news and information to our church.

To get the most out of this resource, please take the time to subscribe to our email service. Once you provide your email information in the box at the right side of the screen, you will receive a confirmation email. Please activate your subscription from the email.

There are also links to our pastoral staff blogs to the right. An added feature is our prayer blog. (If you would like a prayer request added to this blog, please contact Laurie A. at supermom4jc @ yahoo.)

It is our prayer that this blog will help you keep up with ALL of the exciting ministries and events of our great church!

Be sure to check out Pastor Rusty's blog for devotions and encouragement straight from God's Word!

Rejoicing in this wonderful day,

The Leadership Team of First Assembly

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Day 7: Learning to Lean

Just when I thought I could do this, I encounter a huge battle of discipline.

My kids played in the snow today and were famished. They have not "appreciated" the vitamins and protein and natural goodness in this Daniel Fast, therefore, my children have not gotten enough nutrients. My husband and I decided it was time to intervene and get them something they would eat.

So, I walked into the local pizza place to pick up their gourmet lunch. What I was not expecting was the aroma that assailed me while I was standing at the counter.

The purpose of this is to make my relationship with Him a little stronger, more real and definitely more in tune.

I learned to lean a little bit more on my Savior.

Later I had to go to the store for some things. I passed the candy aisle. I wasn't in there for candy of course, but I mistakenly walked down that aisle. It was like a symphony of chocolate smells surrounded me.

I learned to lean a little bit more on my Savior.

I have specific things I have asked God for during this fast. I wrote them down yesterday. And then I realized -again- that Isaiah 58 is more than just about receiving what I think God wants, even if it is for bondages to be broken in others lives. Isaiah 58 says that a true fast is about things being done God's way.

Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter- when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness F125 will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

So, as I lean more on my Savior, I see more of His heart. The more I see of His heart, the more I understand how far away from Him I am. The more I see of His holiness, the more I realize how unholy I am.

I am learning to lean on my Savior- again.

We must seek His face. We must learn to lean on the Savior.

dorinda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is honey and soy milk okay? soy milk has cane juice in it.

The Leadership Team of First Assembly said...

Carmen,
I think I read on the Daniel Fast website to stay away from honey - although in it's natural state, I am not sure.
As far as soy milk goes, I have seen it listed in the okay section. I wasn't aware it had cane juice in it.
For both of those I would check Susan Gregory's site www.danielfast.worpress.com

Anonymous said...

Wild Oats has some soy milk that is unsweetened.IT does not have cane juice.I got some for us and Beth on Saturday but I can't remember the brand name. I know it starts with a W...KayD

Beth said...

It's WestSoy

Anonymous said...

CHICK NUTS (SNACK)
LOW GI
TOASTED CHICKPEAS MAKE A TERRIFICALLY HEALTHY DANIEL DIET SNACK. SPICE THEM UP WITH THE FLAVORINGS SUGGESTED OR YOUR OWN COMBINATIONS. ALL U NEED IS SOME DRY CHICK PEAS (GARBONZO BEANS)

PER 1/2 CUP
CAL 320
CARB 45G
FAT 6 G
FIBER 15G

1 1-LB PKG DRY CHICK PEAS
1. SOAK THE CHICKPEAS IN WATER OVERNIGHT. NEX DAY, DRAIN AND PAT DRY WITH PAPER TOWELS.
2. SPREAD THE CHICKPEAS IN A SINGLE LAYER OVER A BAKING TRAY. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 45 MIN. OR NTIL COMPLETELY CRIST. (THEY WILL SHRINK TO THEIR ORIGINAL SIZE.
3. TOSS WITH A FLAVORING (SEE BELOW) WHILE HOT,OR COOL AND SERVE PLAIN.
SPICY - SPRINKLE A MIXTURE OF CAYENNE PEPPER AND GARLIC POWDER OR ONION POWDER OVER THE HOT CHICK NUTS. OR SPRINKLE GARLIC POWDER AND PAPRIKA OVER THEM.
AFTER SEASONING THESE, ALLOW THEM TO AIR DRY FOR A FEW DAYS TO ENSURE ALL MOISTURE HAS EVAPORATED.