Welcome to our Newest Resource!

Welcome to the On-line connection to First Assembly of God in West Memphis. We hope to provide you with up to date news and information to our church.

To get the most out of this resource, please take the time to subscribe to our email service. Once you provide your email information in the box at the right side of the screen, you will receive a confirmation email. Please activate your subscription from the email.

There are also links to our pastoral staff blogs to the right. An added feature is our prayer blog. (If you would like a prayer request added to this blog, please contact Laurie A. at supermom4jc @ yahoo.)

It is our prayer that this blog will help you keep up with ALL of the exciting ministries and events of our great church!

Be sure to check out Pastor Rusty's blog for devotions and encouragement straight from God's Word!

Rejoicing in this wonderful day,

The Leadership Team of First Assembly

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 5: We are Gonna Make It!


After a couple of hard days, deep soul searching, and spirit empowered discipline, we have made it!


I don't know about you, but I feel like I can make it. I have these moments when I actually crave water and fruit and then I see a candy bar or want to go through the drive-thru for a big ol' diet coke. It is those times when I lean, not on my own self-discipline, but on the strength of my Savior. It is times like that when I can somewhat understand what an addict must go through- except mine is a craving of my mind.


I feel like my body is getting clean from the inside out- in my body, soul, and spirit. I definitely feel better and I definitely feel closer to my Lord. - But it hasn't come easy- and this is just the first week.


How about you guys? What are your thoughts of the first week of the Daniel Fast? For me it has been a discipline just to not allow our new diet requirements consume me. The dietary changes have presented some challenges - shopping time, prep time, and even bathroom time. (yes, I wrote it in a whisper.) But I know you have all had to adjust in each of these areas- it is part of it.


After four days, I have finally found some things our family can eat and suprisingly enjoy!

Last night (and tonight) we had stir fried (not really fried - just sauteed) fresh veggies in olive oil. [Red peppers, green peppers, onion, squash, zucchini, and tofu]. I prepared brown rice according to package directions, and then stir fried the brown rice.


My biggest concern has been that we all get a sufficient amount of protein, along with the ample supply of healthy vitamins. Another protein "trick" I have used, is soy milk in fruit smoothies- Strawberries and bananas in the blender with a little soy milk.


Again, I don't want to elaborate on the replacements, but I do know I want my children to be healthy while they draw closer to God. It is different for 2 adults to know what they need to eat, whether they like or not, than for children struggling with lots of new green things.


The Daniel Fast is about depriving ourselves of things we like in order to lean more on our Lord and Savior. It is about putting our spirit man back in control - because our spirit man listens to the Savior's whisper.


Let us hear from you! This fast is having a wonderful unifying effect on our church family!


Love you all!

dorinda

5 comments:

Beth said...

Wow! What a week it has been. I've have some wild mood swings! I've been happy, sad, mad, frustrated, and cranky all within a couple of hours. Overall, I think I've been in a good mood.
At first it was hard not to think about food b/c we had to really think about it b/c it is so different than the way we eat. I think I have some extra brain cells b/c of it!
I have finally gotten to the point where I can really focus on God. For the first few days it was so hard not to think about food b/c I was so hungry all time. At those moments the first thing I would do was pray for strength. Then I would eat something. I have to say that now I'm starting to enjoy what I'm eating. I'm reading more of my Bible. I really feel a lot better. God has already done great things in my family's life and I can't wait to see what happens next and I can't wait to keep giving myself to God so He can keep improving me.
Side note: If you like spagetti sauce, Ragu has a sugar-free one. It's at Wal-Mart on the top shelf and it's called Light Ragu.

Treasure Seeker said...

I forgot to tell you guys about my great protein snack: Trail mix
I took pecans, sunflower seeds, peanuts, soy nuts, dried cranberries (w/o sugar added) and raisins. Just mixed them up - and voila! Great protein pick up in case I have gotten too much fruit sugars from the juices and fruit.

Some of you have asked about soy nuts- the only place we have found them are at Krogers - by the Soy milk- etc.

LAURIE said...

One of the things that I have noticed during week one, is that we as a family have spent more time together talking and meditating upon God and praying. It has not only brought us closer to God but closer to each other. And we are fasting other "temptations" in our lives like the tv and it is amazing how much time we have in the evening to do other things. Cool huh?

LAURIE said...

HERE'S A PRAYER MY MOM SENT ME:


LORD HELP ME!
Lord, help me as I start this day to live on fruit and greens.
It's been so hard to make myself forget the in-betweens.
Give me strength and fortitude--please help me to behave.
To eat the things I know I should and not the things I crave. Amen


AFTER TELLING MY MOM ABOUT THE FAST SHE IS NOW DOING IT. SHE IS A FEW DAYS BEHIND US BUT GIVING IT HER BEST SHOT.

Anonymous said...

I Have really had a hard time the first few days as well. Ramon is doin g this with me and we as a couple have also grown. I am enjoying the smoothies with the soy milk also, we make it our late night snack :-). I am starting to finally walk past the refrigerator with all of the 100 calories packs whispering my name instead of screaming it - haha.